Monday, February 1, 2010

Year Two. Exhausting the Brief. 'Magazine Layout Design' - SasQuatch Vol. 1


Ah yes - another project full of Greta. She honestly is rather a glorious character for agreeing to be in 99 percent of my projects. (Lucky she isn't to bad on the eye!)

'It was that god damn Sasquatch!' (Why wouldn't you choose this name for your magazine? It just jumps out at you!)

This assignment was one of those works that just fell into place. Yes I did spend countless hours on my Mac - fiddling around and changing things, but to me these original photographs worked out so well!

The brief for this assignment was to create a magazine based on a particular community - my magazine was the fashion community. I used the opacity tool quite a bit in this assignment to create a uniform colour palette of washed out colours. The first set of images in the back and the front of SasQuatch, I used the minimalism as my main concept throughout SasQuatch. Personally I think in order to draw the attention of the onlooker's eye you must use bold images with as little text as possible. So many magazines today are packed with bold fonts and large brightly coloured images - which all end up looking the same. Using a simple font Letter Gothic Std (the love of my life) and a large image in my humble opinion is glorious!

I have created the 'Contents' page of Sasquatch using old images I found in my mother's old photo albums. Photographs from the seventies are splendid - I love their special quality and the browns and yellows! The background image is a splattered painting I found in my room from years ago.

The next section of the magazine, the article layout, were images that were compulsory for the brief that we had to include within our layout. The blurb was also compulsory to use. My 'Doodle Me' font was also used for the first article.

The last set of images is the mock-up of the original Contents page. This also includes the spine that would be used if the magazine was made. The photographs are just images that I took that I didn't include in the magazine yet- but that I enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment